Wednesday 14 January 2009

To Strange For Words,

well I thought it was,
whilst I firmly believe that crop circles are made by the locals this looks really weired, I know it is a natural occurrence but I have never seen it before, this disc of ice, which measures 10ft across, was spotted in Devon during last week's freeze, swirling on the River Otter near Honiton, ice circles are known to appear in the Arctic, Scandinavia and Canada, but this is thought to be the first seen in Britain,

this ice circle, surrounded by a myriad of others, was pictured in Russia

they occur at bends in the river where the accelerating water creates a force called 'rotational shear', which breaks off a chunk of ice and twists it around, as the disc rotates, it grinds against surrounding ice - smoothing into a perfect circle, so now I know.

No comments: