Saturday 28 March 2009

Up Early And Down To Soi 5 Jomtien,

I have a retirement visa, so I have to check in every 90 days,
there are lots of coffee shops come food shops near the immigration center,
but I like this one which is nearest the road, the ice coffee for me and ice chocolate for Diana is always very good, this is the view from inside looking towards the entrance to immigration if you want to give it a try, from walking in to my turn took about 15 minutes as there were 12 or so people in front of me, but doing the notification took just a minuet or so, there were lots of new faces there, the staff had been rotated I guess,
we were joined by Barry Kenyon who is the Honorable British Consul here in Pattaya, he is normally always on hand at Soi 5 from about 8.30 - 9.30 most mornings and also has a office nearby, he has always been very helpful to all nationality's in the reception there and was honoured last year in the Queen's list,
then in the afternoon to the market in Thepprisit Road,
Diana and myself split up as I am sure when we shop together the price is always a bit higher if I am there,
although there are lots of food stalls there you can still buy snacks like these hard boiled or heated eggs to eat as you go,
and so many clothes stalls,
and belts,
I am guessing but the red and white trousers in this shot are for some one who is from Japan and wants to make a statement!
I am sure some of the prices are actually coming down, but as the baht is so strong against the pound they would have to fall by 30% just to stay the same,
now at the far end of the market so time to turn around and go back to the livestock end,
on the way back there are some jewelry shops,
and more dresses, why do I keep bring Diana here? I know it is going to cost a fortune!
and shirts for 100 baht each, but in real terms that is two pounds, I guess about the same in the UK?
I am now opposite the Friday afternoon motorcycle auctions, a fairly noisy affair, with the auctioneer shouting but interesting if you have not been to one before,
and this is why I am opposite the auctions - the bar!
but first a quick walk around, the sushi stall where Diana will be buying my supper 11 pieces for 70 baht,
a few new white and blue speckled orchids at the orchid stall,
last Saturday Richard and Beth brought their son James along to the barby, well with no toys to play with at 388, I bought a small radio controlled car for this week if they are here,
no not as big as these, but the bad news is that when we got home to try it, OK I wanted one as well! it did not work, so at 5 this afternoon back to change it, isn't it just the way?
on my way back to the bar to wait for Diana I just took a few shots as I was walking,
then Diana arrives loaded down with food and clothes,
"Cheers!" from both of us,
whilst at the bar we bumped into Paul and had a long chat about Thailand, visa's etc,
and a surprise for me, Diana had noticed the first of the new crop of lychee's, a bit expensive at 85 baht a kilo,
but last night chilled they went down so well after the sushi! oh well now to drop two pairs of jeans off for Diana to be made a little shorter, then to Friendship for the food for today's bar-b-q in the afternoon and later to change Jame's car, busy, busy, busy!

No comments: