Tuesday 1 September 2009

Do Not Mess With Fish 71!

And You Thought Fish Were Fun!

well I have mentioned this before, the humble pollack is becoming increasingly popular, back when I was a kid it was thought to have no flavour and was cat food only, but it appears it now has a new less of life, more than 13,000 tons of pollack have been sold in the UK making it the countries 7th. most popular seafood, but due to the slight mispronunciation of it's name it is now known as coley or even some times as Boston Blue fin, it is all in the name!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stan & Diana, Enjoying the blog, as always.

The Thai's are great seafood lovers, but do they eat Eel? I am thinking of the old 'East End of London' delicacy, 'Jellied Eels?'

Also, along those lines, do you remember the other items sold; like cockles, winkles, roll-mops, herring etc. Don't know if you remember the company 'Tubby Issacs'and their stalls, but they are still going strong.

Personally, I could manage a few cockles (with vinegar, pepper and a slice of bread); but as for jellied Eels, roll-mops etc, I'll pass! Do you like them?

PattayaStan said...

Dear Anonymous, glad that you like the blog, I just hope you like toy trains as well! I have seen small dried eels on the same stalls as they sell insects on, also live eels in the market, but I have never seen jellied eels out here or for that matter any eels served in a restaurant, there are cockles out here but they are severed in their shells just lightly cooked so still full of blood inside, but they taste the same as cockles in the UK once you get over the blood in the shell, although not the same as Tubby Issacs the last time I was in Greenwich in S.E. London there was a eel, pie and mash shop just off the one way system, as for jellied eels, winkles, cockles, whelks and mussels bring them on! but roll mops are not my favorite, best regards, Stan and Diana.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh, Pie, Mash & Liquer! Now your talking!! Yummy