Tuesday 30 March 2010

They Do Not Make Them Like They Used To!

this Austin 12/4 was made in 1929,

and has stood unused in a garage for nearly 50 years, but it is still basically there although a bit scrappy around the edges, Roger Bulled from Metheringham, Lincolnshire, said he could not believe it when he discovered the old car - which had been locked away in his father Leslie's garage since 1973 - was still in working order, ‘I pumped up the tyres and they stayed up,’ Mr Bulled said, ‘The rubber is cracked but the inner tubes are obviously still intact, which is remarkable really, and the engine turned over when we tried it with the starter handle, but I didn't try to start her up in case I did any damage but I'm sure it would go',

Mr Bulled explained: ‘My grandparents bought it in 1929 for my father to drive them around in, We lived in Barnet in North London and used to go on holiday to Cornwall or Devon, We used to set off very early in the morning, so I used to sleep on the floor in the back, there was no transmission tube so it was flat, and my sister laid on the back seat, it had none of the safety features you get today, there was no seat belts and it wasn't a high performance car, it was taken off the road in 1961, that's the last time it was taxed and it's never had an MOT',

the car is expected to attract nationwide interest when it goes under the hammer at Unique Auctions in Lincoln on April 5, auctioneer Terry Woodcock said he was amazed when he saw the car for the first time, ‘I can't believe it is complete and standing square,’ he added, ‘The suspension hasn't even sagged, I love stories like this, I just hope some one will buy the Austin and return it to it's former glory.

No comments: