Monday 12 April 2010

In A Few Days I Will Be 60,

it only seems that a short while ago when I guess I was 5 or so, I asked my Dad 'how long will it be before I am old, like you?' he replied 'not long, it will be gone in a flash' we were walking in Gloucester road in Croydon, near the Little Playground that is still there, (and where I walked into a ride and lost my front teeth!), well he was right, it has gone in a flash, but the good news is my bus pass will be safe, (in the UK over 60's have a pass that lets us travel on buses free), but more than three million older people will be forced to wait up to five years for their free bus pass after a 'sneaky' rule change, free bus passes for the over-60s were promised by Gordon Brown before the 2005 election and introduced in 2007, some 11 million people use them, but people reaching their 60th birthday are now being told they must wait because of little-publicised changes introduced by Chancellor Alistair Darling in last autumn's Pre-Budget report, it means that anyone reaching 60 this month will have to wait only another month, but those whose 60th birthdays fall in 2015 must wait until April 2020, Emma Soames, older peoples' champion and editor of Saga magazine, said it was a 'very sneaky' move by the government, the government, sneaky? never!

No comments: