Friday 11 June 2010

Continuing Our Trip To Greenwich,

we both did a bit of shopping, in the second hand DVD shop,
it was packed with bargains, the point is most of course are no longer available,
but try as I might I could not see a copy of Big Pig, their album Bonk, it available on the net but is a bit expensive and my Internet still seems a bit slow to download stuff, still one day I will find it!
there are so many restaurants in Greenwich as it is a tourist magnet, opposite a Mexican, for us though a typical English one,
whilst taking a few pics the local lads wanted their picture taken and themselves taken aback when they realised I was born near here!
inside The Green Village everything was clean and comfortable,
'Cheers!' scampi and chips for me, at a reasonable £8.00, not bad for the tourist area,
we had a window seat, then back to Beckenham to meet Linda at 5.00 after she finishes work,
after parking the car we walked through St. Georges cemetery, I was looking for a particular grave when Steve lead me to this one, Admiral Horatio Beauman Young, not the one I was looking for, but I never thought there would be an admiral in Beckenham, he commanded the Hydra, a second class sloop, launched on the 13 June 1838, it was a paddle steamer, 817 tons, with 4 guns, he commanded it off the west coast of Africa,
walking closer to the church the grave was at the side,
the front of St. Georges,
we meet Linda outside her work, a quick walk over the road,
to the Irish theme pub on the corner, O'Neils I think it was called,
inside it had that modern 'old' look,
it was now after 6.00 so a swift decamp to meet Mahendra in The Moon & The Stars in Penge,
as we left to get our taxi there was a small incident outside, yes how I remember my first half of larger and lime!
we had arrived just on the borders of Streatham, famous for it's ice skating rink, when I saw this strange figure blowing in the breeze, I have seen them before but without the arms and head,
and this was where we were going, the Nouvelle Dosti, an Indian restaurant/club, it is upstairs,
and waiting to meet us Dpak and one of the waiters,
there is a nicely stocked bar,
'Cheers!' from all of us,
the food was as you might expect delicious and never ending,
we started with this wine, but it was not to Dpak's taste,
so on to this Domaine Clavel, which I have to admit was much nicer,
then home to the balcony, for a nightcap vodka soda, and a big thank you to Mahendra and Dpak for the huge meal and Dpak for the two bottled of fine wine he gave me to take back to Thailand,
next day lunch at the Cricket Club, scampi for me again, burger for Steve,
now this was good, youngsters taking up a sport, great to see some of them away from computer games screens, out of interest the house at the back of the picture in the center is my place in the UK,
we went back to Steve's place where the gardeners have revamped the front garden and a nice job they made of it too,
one of the residents left this house plant, I think Steve is going to look after in and nurse it back to health, then to get ready for this evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stan,

Big Pig - Bonk, is available to buy on e-Bay. A few for sale, and not too expensive either.