Wednesday 10 November 2010

Lady Mairi Bury, Youngest Daughter Of The 7th Marquess Of Londonderry,

like me collected stamps, unlike me she had the money to collect the really rare ones, following Lady Mairie's death, aged 88, last year, Sotheby's said it would need three days to sell her huge collection of more than 2,000 lots, describing it as one of the finest postage stamp collections to appear on the market in 25 years, the collection includes a Penny Black used on the first day of official use - May 6, 1840 - which has an estimated value of £70,000,

also a rare 1935 Silver Jubilee Prussian Blue from Lady Mairi's vast collection, notice there are no perforations, I am not sure about this but I guess it was a trial proof, very rare indeed,

back to my humble collection, last night I became the proud owner of these, also from the 1935 silver jubilee, the brown 1.5d, a booklet pane of 4 but with an upside down watermark making them a little bit scarce, price? an affordable £4.99, the Sotheby's auction takes place in London from November 24 to 26.

No comments: