Friday 12 August 2011

Apart From The Terrible Events In England,

not a lot seems to be happening in the world of things that we find interesting, amusing or just plain weird,

so I thought I would picture a few stamps that I have added to my collection, the first four were printed by the American Bank Note Company, now known as ABNote, the company was started in 1795 and have printed security items such as stamps and bonds ever since, the stamps I have were printed for the Olympic Games that never took place, scheduled to be held in Tokyo in 1940, the escalating hostilities between Japan and China plus the onset of the Second Wold War ensured the stamps would never be needed, I do not collect many stamps from the USA, but with the next Olympics not to far away I thought this little piece of history was nicely priced at just £5.45 for the 4 stamps,

back to my UK collection this 1887 1.5d block of 4 lightly hinged mint stamps, Stanley Gibbons number 198 caught my eye, a little expensive at £14.00 but I have not seen many blocks of 4 offered so I had a bid and won, as an aside I wonder how many stamps like theses are sitting in attics, basements, books and drawers just waiting to be found? have a look if you think there might be a stamp or two lurking around, they could be worth more than you think!

No comments: