Friday 3 February 2012

It Could Have Been Me!

another one of those 'good luck' stories I like so much,

the painting, Seeufer mit Birken (Lakeshore with Birches) has been missing since it was bought in Dusseldorf, Germany, in 1902 by the collectors Richard and Klara Koenigs-Bunge, the following year they gave the work to their daughter Martha as a wedding present and it has remained in the family ever since, lucky her and husband and their descendants!



in 1901, Gustav Klimt worked on a series of landscapes including one of a group of trees in a sun-lit field beside a lake, but this is the first time it has been up for auction, if only I was a descendant I could be in line for some of the estimated £6million to £8million it is expected to fetch, I think the estimate may be a little low, but what do I know!

No comments: