Sunday 3 June 2012

Everybody Wants One!

a Ferrari 250 GTO that is,


the one above which was owned by UK-based businessman Eric Heerema has just been sold for £22.7million! the car was also at one time owned by Sir Stirling Moss OBE adding to its value, but as far as prices are concerned worse is to come, John Collins, who runs Ascot-based blue chip dealer Talacrest, has describes the current situation as 'crazy', he commented 'I was speaking to a Chinese customer and asking him why it’s happening and he said there are three things worth investing in at the moment - diamonds, Andy Warhol's and classic Ferrari's, I have sold the Stirling Moss GTO twice before, in the mid-90s it was in my showroom for three months before I sold it for £4million, in that showroom I had around 20 cars worth about £20million, that was 1996, if I still had those cars they would be worth £200 million, I wish I hadn't sold them,' He added: 'if someone wanted to sell their Ferrari 250 GTO I could find a buyer in 30 seconds, I have got two people looking for one as we speak,'


the strongest market at the moment is for Ferrari's built in the 1950s and 1960s - with the 250 GTO the car investors are clamouring to buy, just 39 Ferrari 250 GTOs were made between 1962 and 1964 with Enzo Ferrari selling them for £6,000, the 250 GTO was fitted with a 3-litre V12 engine developing 300bhp - meaning a 0-60mph time of 6.1 seconds and a top speed of 174mph, hearing all of this I grabbed my cheque book to buy one then realised my pen had run out of ink, so that's it till I pop into the 7-11 for a new pen.

No comments: