Wednesday 6 June 2012

Having Now Finished Our Diamond Jubilee Celebrations,

a thought about the first Jubilee, in 1897,


for Queen Victoria, She wrote in her diary of the event: 'had a large family dinner, all the Royalties assembled in the Bow Room, and we dined in the Supper-room, which looked splendid with the buffet covered with the gold plate, the table was a large horseshoe one, with many lights on it,' as many of our friends know I collect stamps, so I thought I would put a few pictures of souvenir stamps that you could buy 115 years ago that I have in my collection, the ones above I think were given away,

there appears to be no monetary value printed on the stamp,


 but these were sold as a set for 2/6, you could buy 8 sets for one UK pound,

 or individually, singly or in blocks,

like this block of four 1d stamps, for one UK pound you could buy 240 of them, but this got me thinking, in 115 years time will some one like me be writing about the stamps issued at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee this year?

No comments: