Saturday 8 September 2012

One Of Those Good Luck Stories I Like So Much,

with an even happier ending,

\
reported in the Ashbourne News Telegraph in April 2012 Chris Allen, of Manor Road, Ashbourne found a Farmfoods carrier bag with a collection of Georgian silver inside it, He said: 'it was the summer we had in March and I was working in the field and there was just polystyrene and chip wrappers lying about, I thought while it was nice it’s a shame for it to make a mess, so I thought I’ll just tidy the place up a little bit, I picked up this carrier bag and it burst and all this silver fell out, once I’d got the snails off it I took a sample of it down to the police station and they thought it was worth investigating, so they put it out on the computers, but nobody’s claimed it,'


after the claim period, lost items become the property of the finder, which means now the silver, which includes 12 dessert spoons, 12 dessert forks, 12 table forks, 12 serving spoons, grape scissors, a mustard spoon a pearlhandled button hook and solid silver shoe horn, all this now belong to Mr Allen, he added, 'I’m wondering if someone’s gone away for a few months and hasn’t discovered it missing yet, although it’s now mine, they can still have it back if they can prove it’s theirs, I’d rather someone who has lost it got it back again, I’m just hoping that someone comes forward', he also commented if not claimed he would sell the items and give the cash to charity,


fast forward to now, good as his word Mr Allen put all of the items into auction, the silver eventually made £530 at auction, with donations bringing the total up to £800, now for the really good news, 'My wife Noreen and I love coming to Aberdyfi on holiday so we decided to donate half the amount - £400 - to Aberdyfi Lifeboat Station and the other £400 to our home Air Ambulance of Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Rutland,' said Mr Allen, 'We are very pleased that this unexpected find will benefit some very worthwhile causes and we would also like to thank everyone who made a donation,'


what a kind and generous family, then the auction house the Allens used Fiddler and Taylor stepped up to the mark, Mr Allen said the auctioneers were so impressed with his story that they did not charge any commission, now that is really a good luck story all round.

No comments: