Saturday 9 February 2013

Across This Area,

there were lots of rose bushes,


I had tried growing these in the past,

with little success, I was told that the needed a cool period,

 
so they do best in places such as Chang Mai,

but then a local friend mentioned that he had no trouble growing them here,

 
so I guess it just must have been me,

we moved on to the banana section,

this is a regular feature of the show,

and for me every year is the same,

 
I am always totally amazed at the number of different types of bananas that are available,

both in shape,

and colour,

the varieties are almost endless,
this one is flowering straight from the stem,

if there is one you fancy growing under the ones on display small plants are for sale,

I just had to have a look at some more orchids,

 
I was so tempted to buy a few,

but then I saw some more air plants, the ones at the top of the tray I did not have, so at 80 baht each I was now the proud owner of two of them,

 
I thought this area looked really cool,

as the time approached midday it was getting hot, but this tree gave many of the students a cool place to relax,

 
and nice decorations were placed on the tree as well,

 
there was of course lots of produce on sale as well,

Diana found some of her favourites here, this time aubergines, egg plants,

more coconuts for sale,

 
along with all manner of other trees,

bushes,

 
and vines,

 
yes thats correct, grapes are also available if you want to grow your own,

the aquatic gardeners were also looked after,

 
with a nice range of water lily's,

in various shades,

and colours,

this one attracting a insect,

outside the main area there were some other stalls,

like this one selling live fish for aquariums,

moving back inside Diana had found some thing else she likes, some type of cake I think,

it was getting late so a bite to eat was in order,

but for me I settled for an ice coffee,

after everyone had eaten we continued our walk past what looked like an ancient working rice mill,

plenty of garlic here,

and mind the hot oil!

sugared fruits for sale as well,

I guess I should also mention that there were a few dresses for sale,

but back to the flowers,

we were nearing our starting point,

by now a lot of the children were nearing the completion of the days work,

and some of them looked remarkably good,


so we just had a few more stalls to look at,

all of which at this end of the show had orchids displayed,

some of them very spectacular indeed,

like this one,

or these,

you could be almost forgiven for thinking these are the figments of some ones imagination,

 
but they are not,

they are real flowers,

they seem almost impossible,

imagine if you were a plant hunter in the late 1800s and you came across an orchid like this,

 
or a forest full of these,

I know a lot of flowers have been man made or at least breed now days, but these ones have not,

 
this is how they would have looked in the forest, I have to say I just love orchids, if you want to see more of our day scroll down or hit the 'older posts' button.

No comments: