Tuesday 18 June 2013

Straight On To Today's Post,

as I have an appointment at the hospital,


  are you sitting comfortably? then I will begin, many years ago, perhaps 15 or more a blind boil appeared on my back, it grew to about the size of a fingernail,

then stopped and there it stayed, the same size until about a week ago when it almost double in size and became painful,

 so on Saturday we popped into see Dr. Somnuek in the Skin Clinic next to the TOT Centrer on Third Road about midday, but he was not due in till Monday, so we waited and called in then, the news was not good, I thought a quick cut and remove the liquid that was inside was all that was needed, the bad news was that the lump had grown even bigger over the weekend by then, he said the lump had to be cut out and I should go the the hospital, so off we went,


after checking in, (remember to bring your passport) we waited, a sign in front of us read 'if you are waiting more than 10 minutes please tell one of the staff'' I thought there is no way they can be that quick, but I was wrong, just 5 minutes later, (yes I was looking at my watch), I was taken in and laid on a trolley, the doctor looked and explain the lump would have to be cut out, the wound left open for a week and the dressings changed daily, next an administrator arrived advising me the procedure would be in the region of 6,000 to 7,000 baht did I wish to proceed?


naturally yes, just a few moment later the doctor arrived, administered a pain killing injection and began work, quite some time later the job was done, I looked at the removed material, the main piece was about two and a half inches long, an inch or so wide and about three quarters on an inch thick, plus lots of other smaller pieces, the wound was packed and dressed, appointment made for the next day, bill paid and we were on our way home, then the fun began!


arriving home we had a cup of coffee and watched some television, a little latter I mentioned to Diana that my back was wet, it was, with my blood! the wound had started to bleed, a lot, my shirt was soaked as were about a third of my shorts, we went to the bathroom but despite using towel after towel to stem the flow it would not stop, when I say flow 5 or 6 rivulets were flowing down from the wound, as soon as Diana soaked them up with a towel they returned immediately, remembering the size of the material that was removed I knew I had a deep and open wound,


I had asked Diana to place a towel over the wound, I then used my belt around my chest over one arm and under the other to keep the compress in place and keep pressure on the dressing, luckily Mr. Tony was on had so he kindly took us back to the hospital, it was all systems go when we arrived in the emergency room, the same doctor removed the dressing and started again to work on my shoulder, but despite his best efforts the bleeding would not stop, I could still feel blood running down my side,


drastic measures were called for, a machine of some kind was wheeled in and a new procedure was begun, the wound was being cauterised, rather like in days of old where a red hot dagger or poker would be used to stem the flow of blood, at last as he worked the flow began to stop, it is a strange sound listening to your own blood boil, this procedure took a lot long than the removal of the offending lump, but at last it was completed, wound redressed and we were on our way home,


I have to say great service from the hospital, from just walking in off the street to being operated on in just a little longer than it takes to slowly read this, I now have to attend the hospital for the next week first thing in the morning, so due to that there will not be much posted, sorry if the above is a bit graphic, but you should see the unposted pictures of the material that was removed!

No comments: