Friday 26 September 2014

The Days Of Buying LP Vinyl Records,

are long gone,



as is the large artwork on the covers, but some of the artworks are not as they seem, take this Santana cover, their debut record looks like it only features a ferocious lion, however, if you take a closer look, you can see that it also features nine smaller faces that make up the lion's head, additionally, the lion's chin can also be seen as a hula skirt, only to reveal a hula girl at the album covers's centre, according to the album cover designer, Lee Conklin, "I knew that I was making art for future generations and so even though Bill [Graham, band manager] usually liked posters in colour, I detailed this one in pen-and-ink…the challenge has always been to subvert the poster form to whatever my muse insists on and then to convert my psychedelic experiences to any medium I’m working in, I made it my mission to translate my psychedelic experience into paper."

or take the album cover for Supertramp's Breakfastin America which features a waitress named Libby posing as the Statue of Liberty with a menu and a glass of orange juice on a tray, in the background, what at first glance appears to be the Manhattan skyline is actually cereal boxes, salt and pepper shakes, cutlery, mugs, and various kitchen items made up to look like New York City, as an aside Supertramp won a Grammy Award for Best Recording Package for Breakfast in America in 1980, so your mission, if you choose to take, it is to find more hidden items on the covers from your long lost LP collection.


No comments: