Sunday 28 February 2016

Are You A Doctor?

do you want to earn Aus$400,000 a year?


and receive a few other perks like no weekend or night duties and co-ownership of the clinic where you would work as a GP, if the answer to all of these is yes then look no further your dream job is here in Tokoroa Family Health clinic based in the Waikato region of New Zealand’s North island, 61-year-old Dr. Kenny has to cater to the clinic’s 6,000 patients all by himself and is finding it quite difficult. “It’s a huge problem to find replacements or find locums,” he said. “Last year, I cancelled a holiday because I couldn’t get a locum… and this year I am probably going to have to cancel a holiday, and it’s just tough for me.” Dr Kenny believes that the lack of interest has to do with young doctors not wanting to practice in a small town like Tokoroa, because the 13,600-strong rural town is perceived as a dead-end place to work, while he agrees that the job is nowhere near as exciting as a similar role would be in a big city like Auckland, he says that the plus side is the “ridiculous income,” over double the average income of a GP, “I can offer them a really, really amazing income; it’s incredible,” he said. “My practice has exploded in the last year and the more patients you list, the more money you get.” and all of that living in a dream location, I knew I should have kept going to medical school, but after 5 years of study I gave up, I did not think I would have the patience (patients), OK a feeble joke at best, but the job offer is not.


No comments: