Tuesday 6 December 2016

A Second Post Featuring Layered Glass,

this time incorporating shorelines and waves,


 these pieces are the work of artist Ben Young who has been creating glass sculptures for over 15 years, 

 each hand-cut piece is a dissection of the sea, cutting away to give a glimpse of the underwater terrain, 

 while delicate bronze compliments, originally sculpted by Young in wax, set off the work,

 he comments, “The way I use the glass enables me to portray so many different elements of my conceptual ideas, lighting plays a large part in the presentation of my pieces, when lit from beneath, the light reflects and gives off the illusion of the piece being brought to life, I hope viewers might imagine the work as something ‘living’ that creates the illusion of space, movement, depth and sense of spatial being, I like to play with the irony between the glass being a solid material and how I can form such natural and organic shapes.”

the layering of glass creates different tonalities to mimic the clear waters that surround him in his native Australia, an almost homage to his homeland, currently represented by galleries in New York, Singapore, Auckland, and Melbourne, Young is available for collaborations and commissions, you can see more of his work on his Facebook page or his Instagram page, and no I am not on commission, I just think his work looks neat.


No comments: